Thursday, April 19, 2012

Let the Reading Begin!

I am a habitual reader. It is a hobby that I've loved my entire life and something that I've grown to not only love but I crave. My brain depends on the nourishment that the pages in books provide. The whole process is so therapeutic to me, the cracking open of the cover, then the smell of the pages and the constant anticipation I feel as I finish one chapter and make time for 'just one more,' then finally the rush of joy as the story concludes. I always come upon a couple problems after I finish one book and want to start a new one. Problem number one--What do I read now? Problem number two--I don't have money to blow on $20 books from a certain mega-chain book store (rhymes with Parnes and Moble). Well, this week one of my favorite places to spend not only time but money at: Half-Price Books posted my next reading adventure on their Facebook.

My first trip to the library







40 BOOKS YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT DOWN!

Doesn't that sound amazing? Those are the kind of books that I love, where all your free time is spent reading, even if it's just a paragraph, heck even if it's just a sentence. So, after seeing the post, I of course clicked on the link and began scanning the list. Then I thought, if this is a list of books that I supposedly won't be able to put down, then I should read them all. Here is my first challenge to myself, read all 40 books. I have already read some of them and let me tell you, I think they definitely deserved a spot on the list.

Okay, problem number one: solved.

After accepting the challenge my dilemma was, how was I going to buy 40 books and not go completely broke. Then I remembered, I go to the Library once a week with G3. So, between the library and my local Half-Price Book store I will conquer this list.

Here's the list:

Books I've already read:
  • Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows--J.K Rowling
  • The Glass Castle--Jeanetter Walls
  • The Hunger Games--Suzannne Collins
  • The Help--Kathryn Stockett
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day--David Sedaris

Books to be read:
  • The Road--Cormac McCarthy
  • The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe--C.S. Lewis
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--Stieg Larsson
  • The Da Vinci Code--Dan Brown
  • The Catcher in the Rye: J.D. Salinger
  • City of Bones--Cassandra Clare
  • Storm Front--Jim Butcher
  • Siddhartha--Hermann Hesse
  • The Wanderer's Necklace--H. Rider Haggard
  • Bossypants--Tina Fey
  • The Leftovers--Tom Perrotta
  • Catch-22--Joseph Heller
  • You Shall Know Our Velocity--Dave Eggers
  • I Love Everybody--Laurie Notaro
  • Explosive Eighteen--Janet Evanovitch
  • The Book Theif--Markus Zusak
  • Halfway to the Grave-Jeanine Frost
  • Murder on Astor Place--Victoria Thompson
  • Are You There God It's Me, Margeret?--Judy Blume
  • The Princess Bride--William Goldman
  • The Thin Man--Dashell Hammett
  • The Man Who Planted Trees--Jean Giono
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl--Susan McCorkindale
  • The Crying of Lot 49--Thomas Pynchon
  • Prey--Linda Howard
  • High Fidelity--Nick Hornby
  • Deer Skin--Robin McKinley
  • Dead Until Dark--Carlaine Harris
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas--Hunter S. Thompson
  • Deadly Sins--Lara Leigh
  • Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging--Louise Rennison
Books on the List that I won't read because I've tried and I can't get into them:
  • The Hobbit--J. R. R. Tolkein
  • Ender's Game--Orson Scott Card
And the First Book is...



written by: Sami

No comments:

Post a Comment